Our work makes a huge difference. It keeps fishermen safe, supports sustainable sourcing, helps businesses work efficiently, and boosts the nation’s health. We tackle everything from research to campaigns, insights to training – whatever we can do to give our industry the support it needs.
Using our unique non-competitive position, we work in partnership with people from all across the seafood sector in the UK – helping them overcome challenges and take hold of opportunities.
We’re here to give the UK seafood sector the support it needs to thrive.
We know what seafood can do for the nation It’s packed full of nutrition; when managed responsibly, it’s sustainable; it creates long-term job opportunities, builds communities, and drives business prosperity.
We believe seafood is the way forward. When this sector thrives, the whole nation thrives.
We work closely with the seafood sector through our seafood sector panels and government departments, to make a difference on the issues and challenges that matter most.
Together, we’ve agreed five priorities to support the seafood sector in the UK:
- Changing landscape: Helping the industry through a changing political, economic and regulatory landscape as the UK exits the EU.
- Seafood consumption: Increasing consumer demand against strong competition from other protein and non-protein foods.
- A safe and skilled workforce: Supporting the sector to find a suitably skilled workforce, while addressing complex challenges around workplace safety
- Ensuring sustainable supply: Ensuring seafood caught or imported in the UK is fished, harvested and sourced sustainably and doesn’t compromise human welfare and the environment.
- Innovation and data: Helping the sector access data, information and knowledge to ensure it’s equipped to understand and respond innovatively to challenges and opportunities.
Read our 2018-2021 Corporate Plan (PDF) to find out more about these priorities.
Read our 2018/2019 Annual Report (PDF) to find out how we’re performing against these priorities. Older annual reports can be found using the search box at the top of the site.
Who we are
We were set up by the Fisheries Act 1981 and we’re sponsored by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). We also align our work with the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish devolved administrations.
We have around 100 staff across the UK with a range of fisheries and seafood knowledge and expertise. Most of our people are based in Edinburgh and Grimsby and we have a regional team based in the main fishing and seafood hubs around the UK.
Most of our funding comes from a levy on the first sale of seafood products in the UK. This includes imported seafood. Go to our Seafish Levy page to find out who pays the levy, which products are included and how to pay the levy.
We also get some funding from the European Maritime Fisheries Fund (EMFF) via Defra and the other devolved administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. This funding is used for specific projects.
Go to our Contact Us page to get in touch with us and find out how we can support you.